Thursday, July 31, 2014

Back to School Sewing Studio Savings.....

When 'Back to School' season starts, I can't help but get a bit nostalgic for colorful folders, pens, crayons, and that oh-so-trendy 'Trapper Keeper.'  The school supply sales are a SUPER time to stock up on sewing supplies.  Oh yes!  Many school supplies are helpful tools in the sewing studio.


 Post-It Notes


  • Use them to jot notes to stick to your patterns or pattern directions
  • When I have to walk away from my sewing in-progress, I'll often leave a note for where I left off and what to do next
  • They made great seam allowance gauges at the sewing machine - just stick them at your seam allowance point and guide your fabric alongside




Dixon Ticonderoga Pencils
I'm a bit of a pencil snob. These are the only brand I will use.
End of discussion.



Large Rubber Erasers
Kinda goes hand-in-hand with the pencils. However, they are perfect for lifting the back of the sewing machine so that the machine sits on angle and is easier to see.  This helps to eliminate some back and neck strain.






Pencil Sharpener (Electric and Manual)
I couldn't survive without my electric pencil sharpener to keep the tips of my pencils sharp for pattern drafting and tracing. The small, manual style is good for traveling but also some colored pencils don't sharpen well in an electric device.


Prismacolor Colored Pencils
These are best for pattern work especially when copying from RTW. Do NOT get the Verithin type (they are too hard).





Composition Books
I love these for keep track of projects and jotting notes. They come in many fun colors and designs now.




Manilla Folders
These come in handy for making pattern templates for small items like pockets and as a hemming gauge.



Clear, Flexible, and Curve Rulers
Used for drafting and cutting straight lines and curves

Tape - Double-sided and Dispenser Style
I use double-sided tape to attach swatches of fabric in my project notebooks and I am constantly taping pattern pieces together.  Get a good, heavyweight dispenser that doesn't move when you pull a piece of tape off. The double-sided tape can also be used to tape down and tame unruly vinyl or leather seams.


        



Binders & Plastic Protective Sleeves

For storing items from magazines, printed patterns, etc. I am constantly ripping out inspirational ideas from fashion magazines.

Kraft Paper
I don't personally use Kraft Paper but many people do for tracing and drawing patterns.  Now's the time to watch for sales and special % off deals.






   

And...........Sharpie Markers
One can never have enough of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment